Khruangbin are no slouches when it comes to the remix. They've been reworked before, in 2016, with the highly collectible EP on Boogiefuturo. But this time, they're taking it a step further with an album dedicated to the art. Entering the tight-knit world of a Khruangbin song can be a little daunting. They have created this entire universe in which the trio seem to function telepathically in the way the music is composed, arranged and played. To mess with their delicate eco-system can invoke feelings similar to that of an unwanted guest crashing a good-time party. "We write our music to be interpreted; this is another wonderful interpretation of the music," reassure Khruangbin. "There is something very vulnerable about letting others work on your music. But through the correspondence with the different artists, we gained a bigger connection to the songs themselves."
The choice of remixers for this album is neither arbitrary nor accidental. They're not names picked randomly out of a hat or chosen via a throw of the dice. All have some connection to the band, sometimes personal friendships, musical connections, or simply mutual musical appreciation. Harvey Sutherland and Ginger Roots have both toured with the band, Kadhja Bonet and Ron Trent had their own mutual fan club going on, Knxwledge sampled "White Gloves" on a recent mixtape, Natasha Diggs and Soul Clap's Eli's are recent buddy-ups, and Quantic is a mutual friend of Bonobo (crucial in the KB origin story).
Some of these remixes were specifically made so you can dance your ass off while getting down to the Khruangbin sound, while some might better be appreciated horizontally with headphones on. The choice is yours. But all were made with love and respect for Khruangbin. "A good remix deconstructs, recontextualizes, or simply extends a good time," say the band.
- Father Bird, Mother Bird (Sunbirds) - Kadhja Bonet
- Connaissais de Face (Tiger?) - Ginger Root
- Dearest Alfred (MyJoy) - Knxwledge
- First Class (Soul In The Horn Remix) - Natasha Diggs
- If There Is No Question (Soul Clap's Wild, But Not Crazy Mix) - Soul Clap
- Pelota (Cut A Rug Mix) - Quantic
- Time (You And I) (Put A Smile On DJ's Face Mix) - Felix Dickinson
- Shida (Bella's Suite) - Ron Trent
- So We Won't Forget (Mang Dynasty Version) - Mang Dynasty
- One To Remember (Forget Me Nots Dub) - Harvey Sutherland